Tuesday, July 10, 2012

$5 Savings Plan

I'm like most people and can't save!  So when I came across this $5 savings plan I thought hey what's $5 gonna hurt!  So I went down to Marshalls to find a nice decorative jar that would be big enough to accumulate my 5's, clear so I can see my progress and with a small opening so I do not have easy access to just grab a couple of 5's when I am in between pay checks. So I found the perfect jar for me and I got to work on saving my $5's.

Any time I had a $5 bill in my possession I immediately stowed it away into my wallet.  Now here is where it gets tricky!  You personally need to decide if you will stow away all $5 bills that you come in contact with that day or one $5 bill.  Because when you break a $20 bill you could possibly end up with (3) $5 bills.  It's totally up to you! I did a little of both depending how needy I was of money.

At the end of the night before bedtime I would get my 5's out of my wallet and deposit them into the jar.  Luckily I had the help of my Fiance!  His strategy was that if at the end of the day he had any 5's in his wallet he would hand them over to our jar.  He did not purposely save the 5's throughout the day :(  but good thing is that he usually contributed about $30-$40 a week.

Over a period of 3 months our little jar became pretty stuffed.  We really didn't have a goal on which we were saving for, but we did have a Vegas trip coming up really soon.  We figured that it would be a good time to see what we had saved and spend it in Vegas.


With me not wanting to break the jar, I grabbed a hanger and started pulling the money out.  Looking at the jar we each took a guess on how much money was in there.  He guessed $250 and I was hoping for more than $300.  There was a total of (89) $5 bills! That makes $445!! VEGAS BABY!!


We were both surprised and excited that with little effort in saving it sure went a long way!  I have started the savings again in hopes of extra cash for Christmas, or maybe a nice birthday trip in January. (we both have January birthdays)

If you have started this same plan, I would love to see what you have saved or maybe what goals you have set.  Have Fun and enjoy the benefits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment